Friday 22 November 2013

Sydney - part deux....

So Friday morning, our last full day in Sydney, dawned WET! I could hear it before we even opened the curtains and I was worried it would spoil the views of the harbour and our visit to the Zoo....but although it rained on and off, it never rained on our parade!

Much to Crack's delight we started the day with a ride on a train! We headed up to Circular Quay to meet up with Yvonne, a friend and fellow pollination person who we met on our last trip to Oz. Her boyfriend Mike was able to join us too, and it was nice to finally meet him, outside of Facebook-world! After a fruitless search for the mythical shop of perfect coffees (aka Campos), we settled for a cafe alongside the Opera House with a soundtrack of concrete drilling! Luckily we could still hear each other and it was great to catch up! Far too short, of course, so we'll have to come back again soon....and Yvonne and Mike, you are always welcome in the UK!

Turns out the kid I stopped to take our photo wasn't half bad! He even got the bridge in the background!

Maybe not the perfect coffee....but not a lot wrong with it!

We also spotted a few familiar names on the Writers Walk - all famous authors who've visited Sydney...

Then we headed to the Quay to catch the ferry across the harbour to Taronga Zoo.

 

I'm going to let Crack tell you about most of our trip to the zoo.

 

But I will just tell you about the gorilla I met. She was sitting alongside the glass, ignoring the visitors when we arrived. I sat down next to her, but didn't look at her, Crack was fascinated and was running back and forth between her and another gorilla. She ignored me until I got my phone out and turned the camera to face me. As soon as she and I appeared in the phone screen, I could see her glancing across, taking sneaky peaks at the camera, but still not wanting to make any eye contact! I love these photos, it felt like a significant moment shared with a very intelligent lady, and I shan't forget it!

 

We had a good day out at the zoo but with nap time fast approaching and the initial stages of meltdown underway, we had to run for the ferry, missing out on my first ever opportunity to see leopard seals......gutted..... :-(

 

But the other highlight of the day were our ferry crossings of the harbour on the way to the zoo and back! You can tell which photos were taken when, as it was cloudy on the way out and sunny on the way back! Apologies that there are so many of them....I just couldn't narrow them down any further, but believe me I took lots more than I'm showing you (as those of you on fb can confirm!) !

The view from Circular Quay Railway Station, overlooking the wharves the ferries leave from.

The view from the zoo, looking back towards the city.

Mucking about with filters...

You know, I was worried this morning, that it'd be so wet and the visibility poor, but looking at these photos, I actually prefer some of the grey, cloudy morning shots...very atmospheric (no pun intended!)!

 
 
 

Looking back towards Circular Quay - it looks like very bit of brightness there was this morning was reflected in that building!

 

A very long afternoon nap for Crack and I tried to take him swimming when he woke, but he complained the pool was too cold. After watching lightning strike about half a mile down the road, I agreed it was too cold for the (9th floor) rooftop pool, and we got out...fast!

 

Tomorrow morning we check out, collect the hire car and head off on the next big adventure....Katoomba in the Blue Mountains....and the rest.... I can hardly keep track of it all....so I'm using this:

Hopefully we'll have enough wifi to update as we go.....but it's whether there's time and energy left after all we're hoping to pack in.....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment